WHAT CLIENTS ARE SAYING:
“I’ve been doing these Senior Administrator meetings for a long time and you are by far the best external speaker we’ve ever had.”
Joe Palermo, Chief Operating Officer, K&L Gates
“Paula is one of the most reputable and knowledgeable experts on stress and resilience in the legal world and beyond! Her practical and effective approach to teaching these much-needed skills to individuals and counseling organizations to develop these skills in their talent is unmatched. She taught an online course for our OnRamp Fellows (women returning to the legal profession) and every single one of them gave her 5 stars (out of 5!). She is phenomenal!
Caren Ulrich Stacy, CEO, Diversity Lab
Attorney & Practice Group Chair Cindy Walden talks about the benefits of Paula’s resilience programs!
LAWYER STRONG® RESILIENCE & BURNOUT PREVENTION PROGRAMS
Our Lawyer Strong® Resilience & Burnout Prevention Programs include a set of empirically supported skills that help to build the following capacities:
- The ability to turn off “thinking like a lawyer” by cross-examining, challenging and reframing counterproductive thinking
- Developing a mindset that promotes innovation
- Developing a mindset that perceives stress as a challenge and not a threat
- Identify thinking traps and to more quickly understand where you have control or influence in a situation so you can take purposeful action
- An increased ability to connect to helpful resources
- The ability to maintain strong, high-quality connections and relationships
- Identifying sources of meaning at work and outside of work
- Knowing your top strengths and how to apply those to challenges and stressful situations
- Finding sources of energy in order to prevent or slow the onset of burnout
- Develop self-efficacy – the type of confidence that is linked to resilience
- The ability to tolerate change, stress and uncertainty more effectively
- Higher levels of well-being/engagement and lower levels of burnout
- Healthier coping strategies
- Increased trust and social support
- Tools to help you develop into a more well-rounded leader
BURNOUT PREVENTION & RESILIENCE SERVICES
“Paula’s Blueprint for Stress Resilience” presentation was very well received by our staff, lawyers and clients. Paula is an engaging and compelling speaker. Her personal stories and presentation on burnout and stress management was very memorable.” Tiffany D. Soucy, Counsel, Professional Development at Blakes
We offer a variety of resilience, burnout prevention and well-being programs that are customized to match the needs, culture and goals of your firm or organization, and tend to work in three steps:
STEP 1: LIVE KEYNOTES & WORKSHOPS + INDIVIDUAL COACHING
Live keynotes and workshops that typically range in length from 60 minutes to 1/2 day, with 90 minutes to 2 hours being most typical. Participants have the opportunity to practice using each skill through practical exercises and short examples or case studies. Research on best practices for teaching resilience at work finds that live group workshops plus individual coaching sessions produce the longest lasting results for organizations. As such, all workshops include space for 10 individual coaching sessions after the workshop, which can be facilitated immediately on-site or virtually after the general workshop concludes. The number of coaching sessions can be increased as needed to accommodate demand.
STEP 2: ADVANCED TRAINING – LIVE
This is a more tailored advanced course open to participants who have completed the general session outlined in Step 1 above. It includes 4-6 modules that introduce additional skills under each of the “Think Differently,” “Connect More,” and “Thrive” pathways. Participants will have the opportunity to practice using each skill through practical exercises and dedicated “homework” assignments. Also included are three sets of both group and individual coaching sessions to address questions and to ensure the skills are being applied effectively. Group size is limited to 12 participants.
STEP 3: ONLINE TRAINING
Paula helps firms to develop their own resilience “Intranet,” which includes videos of Paula demonstrating key skills, sample exercises attorneys can do on demand, case studies/examples, and a library of articles, books and resources. Firms may choose to grant access to attorneys and other professionals firm-wide, or use this as a perk for those who express an interest in these topics after one of the more general workshops.
- RESILIENCE & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT: Lawyers are expected to “think like business owners” and build a book of business early on in their careers. As lawyers gain more comfort with the technical aspects of lawyering, all of a sudden they are expected to add this new skill set to their practices. Lawyers aren’t taught how to develop business and many of them struggle with how exactly to go about doing it. Paula teaches specific resilience strategies to help lawyers cope with the uncertainty, failure, missteps and stress associated with developing business.
- RESILIENCE & INNOVATION: Innovation is now critical for law firm and legal practice survival, yet the process of innovating is naturally filled with failures and missteps. As a result, it can be difficult for firms to achieve buy-in from skeptical, risk-averse attorneys. Learn how key resilience strategies can help you overcome some of these challenges in a legal environment. In addition, Paula will teach participants the steps of design thinking, a problem solving process and innovation methodology, and how to apply it to business development, leadership and non-work challenges.
- LAW FIRM ADMINISTRATION COURSES: Paula often teaches a shorter, executive style course to law firm administration to build buy-in, awareness and support among law firm and organizational leadership
- PROGRAMS FOR FIRM CLIENTS: Law firms often ask Paula to speak to their clients on both burnout prevention and stress resilience topics. Many law firms service large companies whose employees are experiencing a great deal of change, stress, burnout and disengagement. Not only does this provide a nice networking opportunity for firms and their clients, but clients also appreciate that their firm is addressing their challenges from a holistic framework, beyond just focusing on legal concerns.
PARTIAL LIST OF CLIENTS:
K&L Gates LLP
Quarles & Brady LLP
Goodwin Procter LLP
Fish & Richardson LLP
Steptoe & Johnson
O’Melveny & Myers LLP
Schwabe Williamson & Wyatt
Drinker Biddle & Reath
Blake Cassels & Graydon LLP (“Blakes”)
The Department of Defense
Harvard Law School
American Bar Association
Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society (“ALAS”)
Professional Development Consortium (“PDC”)
National Association for Law Placement (“NALP”)
If you are interested in talking to Paula about how these services may benefit your firm or organization, please contact Paula at (414) 477-8697 or via our contact form.